Thursday, June 30, 2011

Makeup 101: What are Primers? (Eye and Face)

What is an Eye Primer and how does it work?

An eye primer works as a barrier between your eyelids and your eye shadow.  A lot of times your eyelids become oily and cause your eye shadow to breakdown and crease.  Creasing occurs when you can see a thin line of skin between your eye shadow on your lid from natural folds in your eye when you open and close them. Having a thin layer of primer over your eyes before applying your eye shadow can keep your makeup from creasing. An eye primer also keeps your eye shadow colors looking vibrant and fresh throughout your day.  

The price of eye shadow primers can range anywhere from $1.00 - $20.00 depending on where you purchase.  Keep in mind that what works for me may not work for you because the level of oiliness produced by your eyelids are unique to you :P Listed below are eye shadow primers that I have/had and know work for me: 
- Too Faced Shadow Insurance ($18.00 Sephora.com)
- Urban Decay Primer Potion ($19.00 Sephora.com)
- Mac Paint Pots ($16.50 maccosmetics.com)
- E.L.F. Mineral Eye shadow Primer ($3.00 eyeslipsface.com)
- NYX HD Eye shadow base ($7.00 nyxcosmetics.com)
Another eye primer that you can find without ordering online that I have not tried is the Palladio Herbal Eye Primer sold at Sally Beauty Supply stores for $8.00. 



While the cost of an eye primer sounds pretty expensive, purchasing one is worth the investment. They last for a good amount of time (at least three months) and prolong your eye makeup so that you don't have to worry about reapplying throughout the day or doing touch-ups to keep the eyes looking fresh. I apply my makeup in the morning, and I don't touch it again until I am getting ready to go to bed. 

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Being a makeup noob, I now have a better understanding about Primers. Thanks Evelyn! :) I can't wait to try this out!

EVC Makeup said...

:) Thanks Andeeee! You rock!

Naomi said...

I love the Urban decay primer potion - I don't know what I did before it !!

My benefit that gal primer has just run out, can you recommend any good face primers?

Just found your blog it is great! :)

Naomi xx

http://pinkcupcake24.blogspot.com/

EVC Makeup said...

Hi Naomi! Thanks so much for stopping by :) Honestly, I love affordable makeup so I'm not sure if the face primers I use would live up to the Benefit primer! BUT...because they're cheaper you should give them a shot! I love my Hard Candy Sheer Envy face primer..it just smooths out my skin and helps me apply my makeup easier without falling into the fine lines of my face. It's $8.00 at walmart! I also like to use the Elf Mineral Face Primer which is $6.00 on eyeslipsface.com..however the pump kind of stinks--so it's easier to use a brush to scoop out the product! Those are my two favorites but what I need in a face primer (provide a smooth surface) might not be the same needs you have! :) Hope this was helpful!

Naomi said...

I love affordable make up too!! I only brought the benefit that gal as a treat but was disappointed because it only lasted 3 weeks. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think we stock the hard candy face primer in the UK but I'm definitely going to the try to try the ELF primer.

Thank you - your reply was really helpful.

Naomi xxx